Monday 18 April 2011

IN PaIN

Are you in PaIN today? I am.......I am always IN PaIN in one way or another and the PaIN is always IN Me!

To look at me, as anyone who lives with an 'invisible' illness will know, you might think that I look totally fine...you might even say that I look good, or well, or nice, that's a normal thing (and a nice thing) for a person with Fibromyalgia to hear and accept, we are accustomed to it, aren't we?

But should we be accustomed to it? Or do we 'really' want to look sick so that others will notice and take action? Give us sympathy? Or empathy? Surely if we 'look' sick, we wouldn't feel so alone in our suffering? So isolated? But who wants to 'look' sick?........not me!

That is the price a person living with an 'invisible illness' has to pay, it is a catch twenty two situation....sometimes if the pain is particularly overwhelming or the fatigue has taken over, people may say 'you're not looking yourself today' or  'you look different, is everything OK?'...then you may think....'Wow, someone has noticed'!!!........But do we actually want people to notice at all? It's a tough one, isn't it?.....

Of course, as we all know there are many different kinds of pain, physical, emotional, spiritual, ......yesterday my left thigh was 'getting it'.......what my poor leg had done wrong I don't know?......however the naughty 'PaIN Goblin' was jumping up and down on my leg and poking it with a sharp stick....horrible little creature! That horrible Goblin was also jumping on my head and my back..and in the evening it attacked my right foot!!! How I despise that little creature! Once again, through frustration and feeling utterly fatigued at having to endure this attack, (when all I wanted to do was enjoy a nice Sunday with my husband and youngest), I ended up in tears. I wonder where that Goblin comes from? I wish it would just return and LEAVE ME ALONE!!!!

Unfortunately, I have known the PaIN Goblin a very long time.....the horrible creature has made me cry and caused me no end of emotional and physical suffering for years, you see........ I was first diagnosed with Fibromyalgia over 15 years ago....

I was told that I was 'suffering' with the symptoms of FMS at a time when doctors had not long 'given' the collection of symptoms a 'name'.....what was my reaction?.....DENIAL!!!  Denial that the condition existed, believing that I had just been 'fobbed off'.....which then, over the following years, lead to more PaIN.... IN Me! I tried to ignore the dreaded Goblin!

However, now I do not, and will not, deny to myself that I have this illness, I have accepted 'IT', to make myself as well as I possibly can be, and to raise awareness of the syndrome and to hopefully help other sufferers, of both FMS and other hidden illnesses.

Whether you are experiencing any kind of emotional or physical pain or both?.....never deny that the pain is 'real', and that it needs accepting, only then can you help yourself to be as well as you possibly CAN be.

Are you IN PaIN? Is the PaIN IN you? It is in me too, and we are the best people to make ourselves better..aren't we?

Have a happy, relaxing and pain free day..

No comments:

Post a Comment